Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A beauty and a beast



(Click on pictures to see them in their full glory)

For the past few months, my poor, long suffering girlfriend has had to put up with me boring her incessently about the minutae of modern mountain bike technical specifications. Back in summer, I decided I needed a new bike. Not wanted. Needed. I'd been riding in Glentress and got hooked on the buzz from hurtling down a narrow single-track between trees and over rocks. In true geeky-PhD-student fashion, I started to do my background research. If I was going to spend money on something, I wanted to make sure I was getting the best of the best. Unfortunately, as I have a one-track mind, this became my obsession, and soon even Sherryll could tell you the merits of one brand of hydraulic disc brakes over another (sorry babe!!).

But finally, after a lot of umming and ahhing, I have my very own Gary Fisher Tassjara GS bike. I've upgraded the brakes (to Shimano Deore) and forks (to RockShox Recon 327), and it is without doubt a magnificent piece of engineering. And isn't it a pretty colour too!! *ahem*

The aim is to get fit again; bomb down hills at top speed going "woo hooo!"; see a bit more of the countryside; and most importantly, to tire out the dog.

I think first and foremost though, I need to invest in some mud guards!


3 Comments:

At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tee Hee... you ARE a mucky pup... still a pretty one just the same!

Although, im not sure that i COULD tell you all the merits of your different bikey bits - to be honest, i phased you out somewhat while you were on this Bike effort.

LURVE you. *cheeky grin* x

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger fi said...

Aww cheers babe! x

But at least you know that the decision shouldn't be purely based on whether it's a pretty colour or not. What sort of big girl would do that?? ;)

BTW I think I may have broken the dog. Went for a wee 15km jaunt yesterday and I got a bit carried away with the speed. Poppy tried her best to keep up, but she's been limping ever since. Three of her fours paws have cut pads. Oops!

Im such a bad parent.

To make it up to her, I gave her practically half of my steak last night, which seemed to ease her suffering slightly. I'm not sure if I can afford to keep this up though, as she's cottoned on to the whole milking the sympathy thing, and is doing the most pitiful whimpers whenever there's food around.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Dr Jim said...

I'm sorry but I'm greatly disturbed by this picture. You look like you have the pox.

Very nasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home